Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital
St. Luke's Named a Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital
by Thomson Reuters
Only Hospital in Region to Earn Distinction from Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters has named St. Luke's Hospital (Bethlehem and Allentown) one of the nation's 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals. St. Luke's is the only area hospital to receive this distinction.
The Thomson Reuters 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals is an annual, quantitative study that identifies the nation's best providers of cardiovascular service. Selected from more than 1,000 U.S. hospitals, St. Luke's and the other winners provide top-notch care and set new standards for the health care industry.
Comparing the award winners to a peer group of hospitals, Thomson Reuters found that if all cardiovascular providers performed at the level of this year's winners:
- Nearly 7,700 additional lives could be saved.
- Approximately 6,500 additional patients could be complication-free.
- More than $1 billion could be saved.
According to Thomson Reuters, this analysis was based on Medicare patients. If the same standards were applied to all inpatients, the impact would be even greater.
The 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals also:
- Spend an average $4,000 less per bypass surgery case.
- Have significantly better 30-day survival.
- Maintain lower 30-day readmission rates for heart attack and heart failure patients.
- Return patients to daily life half a day a day earlier, on average.
Thomson Reuters is one of the world's largest news organizations providing business information to professionals in the world's financial, legal, accounting, health care and science markets.
For details about The Thomson Reuters 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals study, please visit www.100tophospitals.com/top-cardio-hospitals/.